Re: cdbs and Build-Depends-Indep

[ Let's move this discussion to -policy, where it belongs.  For
  people reading -policy, the context is in bug #197100. ]

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 16:45, James Troup wrote:

> I don't think it's a bug in the buildds.

And you do think it is a bug in laptop-net?  (really cdbs)  I don't.

> If Build-Depends-Indep were
> installed to satisfy 'build' their entire raison d'etre would be
> voided.

The buildds, as I see it, shouldn't even invoke debian/rules build at
all.  They should just invoke debian/rules binary-arch and leave it at
that.  Alternatively, they could try invoking debian/rules build-arch,
and if that fails just ignore it.  Yet another alternative is to make
build-arch mandatory.  Which of those (if any, there are probably more
solutions) the buildds should do I think we will have to discuss
further.

This all goes for dpkg-buildpackage too, of course.

> That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's orthogonal to
> this bug.

I don't think it's orthogonal at all.  You said:

"Build-Depends-Indep are not installed during the 'build' target; ..."

which just plain contradicts policy §7.6.