Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 09:34:13PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:

> Section 11.2 says:
>
>      In general, libraries must have a shared version in the library
>      package and a static version in the development package.

> Since it says "the development package", not "a development package", it
> must mean libfoo-dev, in which case putting it in another package is a
> violation of a "must" directive.

But it also says, "in general", which completely undermines the
"must", as it implies that specific cases may not fit the general
rule.

In fact, the phrasing suggests to me that this sentence dates back to
the time when policy was a compendium of accumulated wisdom and
experience, rather than a legalistic weapon used to browbeat
recalcitrant developers.  (Ah, those happy, innocent days of yore!:)

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single