Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:
> Josip Rodin <joy@gkvk.hr> writes:
>
> >         The static version of a library must be compiled without the
> >         <tt>-fPIC</tt> option. It must be placed in the development
> >         package, normally <package>lib*-dev</package>, but if its size
> >         exceeds the size of the rest of the files in the development
> >         package, it can be placed in a separate package called
> >         <package>lib*-static-dev</package>. It is recommended that the
> >         <package>lib*-dev</package> packages then declare a
> >         respective <package>lib*-static-dev</package> package.
>
> Can we at least also add an option to (or preferably replace this
> with) dropping the static lib altogether at the maintainers
> discretion?  (Unrealistic) worst case this could introduce over 1000
> new packages which would be less than ideal...

For the record, I *need* static libraries. I would really be annoyed if
I need to rely on the discretion of the maintainer to know whether they
are available or not in Debian. Experience has shown that 'maintainer
discretion' about libraries is too random a function to be relied upon.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>