Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:42:40PM +0000, James Troup wrote:
> > 	  The static version of a library must be compiled without the
> > 	  <tt>-fPIC</tt> option. It must be placed in the development
> > 	  package, normally <package>lib*-dev</package>, but if its size
> > 	  exceeds the size of the rest of the files in the development
> > 	  package, it can be placed in a separate package called
> > 	  <package>lib*-static-dev</package>. It is recommended that the
> > 	  <package>lib*-dev</package> packages then declare a
> > 	  respective <package>lib*-static-dev</package> package.
>
> Can we at least also add an option to (or preferably replace this
> with) dropping the static lib altogether at the maintainers
> discretion?  (Unrealistic) worst case this could introduce over 1000
> new packages which would be less than ideal...

I'd agree to that myself, but I don't know about other people.
It also seems a bit of a jump, from a must to a must not...

Perhaps we can just make static libraries a "should" at first, and then a
few maintainers (such as QT) drop them (despite the fact this could be filed
as a normal bug against the package). After some time, we see if that
ruffled any feathers and decide how to proceed.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.