Re: draft proposal for a new web server policy

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 11:07:16PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:05:14PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:11:41PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > [I am only a by-stander in this discussion, but I have just a small
> > > technical point].
> > >
> > > I would like to suggest an other naming convention that fit better with
> > > Debian practice:
> > >
> > > /usr/share/httpd/defaultdocumentroot/<package>
> > >
> > > i.e. putting the files in a common directory instead of clobbering the
> > > /usr/share/<package> namespace.
> >
> > > This is in line with how menu, reportbug and lintian provide similar
> > > facilities (/usr/lib/menu/<package>, /usr/share/bug/<package>,
> > > /usr/share/lintian/overrides/<overrides>).
> >
> > It is not, because there are packages named "menu", "bug", and "lintian"
> > to which these heirarchies correspond.  There is only a virtual package
> > named "httpd"; if someone opted to create a real (though ill-advised)
> > package named httpd, there would be a namespace conflict.

> While I agree with the conflict, there are ample precedents for this:
> /usr/share/doc
> /usr/share/locale
> /usr/share/man
> /usr/share/misc
> /usr/share/common-licenses
> /usr/share/i18n
> /usr/share/pixmaps
> /usr/share/miscfiles

> Just try
> for i in /usr/share/*; do test -d /usr/share/doc/`basename $i` || print $i; done

Oh, well, I didn't say there weren't other precedents ;) -- but it's
still not exactly in line with menu, bug, and lintian.

> Between risking namespace conflicts with file in packages that exist and
> namespace conflicts with packages that do not exist yet, I would choose
> the former.

Did you mean to say this the other way around?

At any rate, I don't see why policy would need to specify in any detail
the precise hierarchy of a per-webserver default documentroot.  It's
entirely a per-package implementation detail and doesn't need to be in
policy, AFAIK; so a webserver could put it anywhere it wants to under
/usr/share/<package>/, according to local namespace preferences.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer