Re: draft proposal for a new web server policy

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:11:41PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 12:43:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I'm not sure if there is any benefit to something standard like
> > /usr/share/<httpd>/defaultdocumentroot. Maybe there is, if some
> > program external to the web server wants to set up a later vhost for
> > that web server. In any case, it would not be a formal DocumentRoot, but
> > would instead be more of a document skeleton directory that is copied or
> > linked into place.
>
> [I am only a by-stander in this discussion, but I have just a small
> technical point].
>
> I would like to suggest an other naming convention that fit better with
> Debian practice:
>
> /usr/share/httpd/defaultdocumentroot/<package>
>
> i.e. putting the files in a common directory instead of clobbering the
> /usr/share/<package> namespace.

> This is in line with how menu, reportbug and lintian provide similar
> facilities (/usr/lib/menu/<package>, /usr/share/bug/<package>,
> /usr/share/lintian/overrides/<overrides>).

It is not, because there are packages named "menu", "bug", and "lintian"
to which these heirarchies correspond.  There is only a virtual package
named "httpd"; if someone opted to create a real (though ill-advised)
package named httpd, there would be a namespace conflict.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer