Re: Init.d script, preventing start of one service

In article <[🔎] 20031115165621.GA1209@grand>,
Sylvain LE GALL <sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 01:37:44PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > In one of the package i maitain i have a config script which begin by
>> > asking if the service attached to this package need to be run. I use a
>> > variable ( stored in /etc/default/mldonkey -- LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP="yes" )
>> > to determine if i need to run the service or not.
>> >
>> > If the variable is set to yes, the init script launch the service,
>> > otherwise it does nothing.
>> >
>You think i should simply remove LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP from the init
>script...
>
>Maybe it should be wiser indeed...
>
>In fact, mldonkey server could be run as normal user or as sysadmin (
>just like fetchmail ). It depends on what does the user want to do with
>it !
>
>So i think i should let LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP... But i keep thinking on it.

The problem with LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP is that it is the wrong name.
It not only prevents the service from starting, but it disables
the entire init script. You can't even run it anymore manually.

So the variable should probably be called ENABLE_MLDONKEY_SERVER
or something like that.

The reason why someone asked you to control that through
the startup links instead, is that if it is disabled that
way, you're still able to start it by hand by running
/etc/init.d/mldonkey-server.

Mike.
--
"Sinds zij Katja en Bridget bij Balkenende zijn geweest is het
 bloed niet teruggekeerd in zijn hersens" -- Raoul Heertje.