Re: Init.d script, preventing start of one service

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 04:27:03PM +0100, Sylvain LE GALL wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In one of the package i maitain i have a config script which begin by
> asking if the service attached to this package need to be run. I use a
> variable ( stored in /etc/default/mldonkey -- LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP="yes" )
> to determine if i need to run the service or not.
>
> If the variable is set to yes, the init script launch the service,
> otherwise it does nothing.
>
> The user ask me if i can use update-rc.d to create/remove symlink
> depending on the former LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP value.
>
> What is the standard solution for doing this in debian ?

The standard is to install the initscript, and not care about other
stuff. If the sysadmin doesn't want the thing to start at startup, he
can remove the symlinks; update-rc.d does not recreate symlinks that
have been manually removed.

However, if you have solved this differently in the past, it would be a
bug not to convert the LAUNCH_AT_STARTUP thing to what it needs to be,
since you need to preserve user configuration.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."