Re: build-depends-indep and arch: all source packages

On 20030903T212419+0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> When build-depends were first created, people started adding
> build-depends for arch-independent packages in multi-binary source
> packages, resulting in waste of resources by autobuilders installing
> packages they won't need to build the package. So, build-depends-indep
> were created, so that those build-dependencies that aren't needed to
> autobuild a arch-dependent package can be put in there, and autobuilders
> don't waste time and diskspace installing packages they don't need.

To set the history straight...

When I proposed the build-time dependency system, I had a complete set
of Build-{Depends,Conflicts}{-Arch,Indep,} (with a different naming
convention, but who cares:).  The consensus from the discussion was that
Build-{Depends,Conflicts}-Arch are unnecessary and so they were not
adopted.  However, Build-Depends-Indep has been in Policy as long as
Build-Depends.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer   http://www.iki.fi/gaia/