Re: Policy for 32-bit uids/gids?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:15:54PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> David B Harris dijo [Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 04:23:03AM -0400]:
> > I certainly agree with the general idea, as well as the specific
> > proposal of allocating 2^16 UIDs for Samba's idmap usage.
> >
> > That being said, will Sarge release with the minimum requisites for the
> > 2^32 UIDs? If so, I'm happy. But somebody should ask the RM to be sure.
> > Otherwise, I would think it'd have to wait until Sarge+1.
> >
> > Specifically, quota stuff. Every tree but Marcello's has implemented 32
> > bit quotas, as far as I know, but not his. So 32 bit quotas aren't
> > "official" yet. Might need Xu to patch the default kernel images.

> Not only that... Are 32-bit UIDs legal in *BSD or HURD? I don't think
> Samba should be limited to Linux-only installs.

You mean the length of uids on the Hurd is limited by something other
than the available virtual memory? >:)

To be clear, Samba will still be useable in many cases without such an
available uid range.  It's only when someone tries to create an ACL on
the Samba fileserver that references a foreign SID that the absence is
felt.  Now, when you're trying to deploy Samba on a network with
multiple NT domains which have trust relationships, this absence will be
felt acutely.  When you're deploying it in a small office network with
one domain and Samba is the PDC, it's not much of an issue.

So the fact that 32-bit uids are currently unsupported on some Debian
platforms is less of an issue, IMHO, than making sure that whatever
range we choose can reasonably meet the needs of most users for the
foreseeable future.  Having a default range that's inaccessible to some
(or even to everyone, in the worst case) is better than having a default
range that's available to all, but which fills up within a few months or
a year and leaves admins stuck with the task of migrating filesystem
ACLs by hand.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer