Re: Policy for 32-bit uids/gids?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:15:09 -0500
Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> wrote:
> [Re-sent due to inability to properly address email.]
>
> Section 10.2 of policy currently describes uid and gid classes covering
> the range of 0-65535.  This appears to no longer be comprehensive: on a
> current system running a 2.4.18 kernel and libc6 2.3.1-17, I'm able to
> assign 32-bit userids to accounts and reference these accounts in file
> ownerships, su to them, etc.  Should Debian Policy be expanded to
> address this greatly increased range of available ids?

I certainly agree with the general idea, as well as the specific
proposal of allocating 2^16 UIDs for Samba's idmap usage.

That being said, will Sarge release with the minimum requisites for the
2^32 UIDs? If so, I'm happy. But somebody should ask the RM to be sure.
Otherwise, I would think it'd have to wait until Sarge+1.

Specifically, quota stuff. Every tree but Marcello's has implemented 32
bit quotas, as far as I know, but not his. So 32 bit quotas aren't
"official" yet. Might need Xu to patch the default kernel images.