Re: cdbs and Build-Depends-Indep

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 06:27:11PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 06:50, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > (or possibly an alias for build-arch)
>
> Then it seems to me what you want is to make build-arch and build-indep
> required targets, and just invoke build-arch directly.

The problem is not with we want but what dpkg-buildpackage implement.
dpkg developers don't want to rely on debian/rules to be a Makefile
so they have no simple way to query implemented debian/rules targets,
so are stuck with the old interface. See bug #148932

Changing policy will go nowhere until the above is fixed.

> I think 'build' should always depend on build-arch and build-indep, so
> what you're suggestion isn't what is expected.

I have tried and a get a FTBFS, so I gave up and make build depend
only on build-arch.

That said, I agree with you that the current situation is not optimal.

If you want policy follow usage, make a policy proposal that require
build to depend on build-arch (if available) but not build-indep.
The alternative (changing dpkg) is out of reach.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.