Re: menu-policy update process

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 12:17:22PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Chris Waters wrote:
> > The whole point of keeping menu policy separate was so that it would
> > be easy to modify without all the overhead of making formal policy
> > changes.  I'm a little perturbed that we seem to have lost that.

> Well, it's not clear from reading the various files in
> /usr/share/doc/debian-policy what the process for updating the
> menu-policy is supposed to be.

Yes, that's what perturbs me.

I do note that following menu policy seems to be a request -- it says
"please", rather than "should" or "must".  That pleases me.

> I personally think that these types of things are better handled by
> having one person who just comes up with something logical and
> consistant.

I agree if and only if you can find the right person.  Any volunteers?...

Actually, what the heck, my name is at the top of the authors list.
And even though I think it's alphabetical by first name, I'm willing
to use that as an excuse to volunteer as menu-policy dictator.
(Mwuah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!)

> AFAIK it was split out of menu in the first place just so we didn't
> have to rev menu to change it.

Speaking fairly authoritatively here (i.e. as the person who authored
the split), that was only part of the reason.  The reason it was kept
separate from policy (rather than just being added as another chapter
of policy) was so that it would be easy to change if anyone had any
decent suggestions.  That information seems to have gotten lost in the
mists of time though.  (Or in the mists of the -policy archives that
I'm too lazy to search...)

*shrug*
--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single