Re: first batch of restructuring in the policy manual

>> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:08:21 +0100,
>> Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> said:

 > On that note, by proofreading the debian/rules sections I
 > determined that the last restructuring caused bug #88029. Not that
 > there was anything wrong with the method used[1], it merely made me
 > lament the fact I didn't proofread that one back then, and made me
 > be more careful about the may-should-must phrasing now.

 > [1] I saw clear pattern in how the various "is" and "should
 > usually" terms were converted into "should" and "must". The
 > conversions were consistent, however, IWJ wasn't necessarily
 > consistent in the original text because the original text was never
 > scrutinized in this manner, to my knowledge. This, combined with
 > the fact the rules file interface was obviously made in a way a
 > that doesn't really rely on make's features, has convinced me even
 > further that the "must" rule (which I objected to in #88029) is
 > improper. :)

	I dunno. Going back over the old bug, I see there was little
 consensus, with a number of arguments being extended to keep make
 behaviour (make CFLAGS=vlah build, ./debian/rules -n -p -d, etc);
 I'll need to read through again. So far, I think I differ on this
 issue.

	Of course, the prospect of writing a rules file as a perl
 script, or as an xslt transform, is intriguing. Or even a rules file
 written in Scheme.

	manoj
--
My weight is perfect for my height -- which varies.