Re: Versioned Symbols

* Junichi Uekawa (dancer@netfort.gr.jp) wrote:

> > > - Conflict between library -dev packages, and -dev packages to
> > >   depend on correct version of other -dev packages.
> > > 	- Would allow valid setups
> > > 	- Packages may become FTBFS, but when they are fixed,
> > > 	  packages work.
> > >
> > > see libpkg-guide for fuller story.
> > > And I think it is one way of going without versioned symbols.
> >
> > This doesn't solve the problem, and -Bsymbolic only solves a portion of
> > the problem.
>
> It does solve the problem.
> When implemented, it is impossible to link an application
> to both libssl0.9.6 and libssl0.9.7.

ssh-krb5 was built a while ago using libssl0.9.6.  libldap2 will shortly
be uploaded and links against libssl0.9.7.  ssh-krb5 ends up linked
against libldap2 though libpam-ldap and the PAM modules (or libnss-ldap
and the nsswitch.conf, either way).  The ssh-krb5 process ends up linked
against 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 and segfaults.  How would your 'solution'
prevent that?  Often libraries are updated before programs are updated
to that library.  Sure, you may not be able to rebuild ssh-krb5 but that
doesn't really matter unless you attempt to rebuild every binary every
time a new library is uploaded and remove all the FTBFS packages.
Needless to say, I don't think that would work very well.

	Stephen