Re: Versioned Symbols

> >   - Conflict between library versions
> >     - Wouldn't allow valid setups where the versions aren't linked into
> >       the same process
> >     - Lots of packages would end up uninstallable for certain library
> >       upgrades
>
> Those two reasons make it obvious we should not do that I think.

- Conflict between library -dev packages, and -dev packages to
  depend on correct version of other -dev packages.
	- Would allow valid setups
	- Packages may become FTBFS, but when they are fixed,
	  packages work.

see libpkg-guide for fuller story.
And I think it is one way of going without versioned symbols.

Using versioned symbols is a workaround which is, although
available within all Debian architectures, not available on
everywhere, and considering free software as a whole,
it might be better to notify upstream of library inconsistency.

libssl went against guidelines shown libpkg-guide in that
it replaced libssl-dev (0.9.6) with libssl-dev (0.9.7), just like
libpng-dev (for 3) replaced libpng-dev (for 2)

regards,
	junichi