Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 07:15:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Adding 1100 additional packages to debian, and 800 mb[1] additional to
> be downloaded every apt update is unambiguously bloat. It also goes
> rather against the originally stated rationalle of saving on download
> time. And it wouldn't provide any significant choice.

No significant choice?  Removal of static libs means an inability to
statically compile an application without first recompiling all the
required libraries.  That seems like a pretty significant removal of
choice.

As for the additional size of the update download, it would be an
increase.  However, I'd rather have this increase than see static
libraries removed completely.

--
Jamin W. Collins