Re: Question regarding policy (11.2)

    Josip> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:21:45AM -0700, Ivan E. Moore II
    Josip> wrote:
    >> "All libraries must have a shared version in the lib* package
    >> and a static version in the lib*-dev package"
    >>
    >> I'm not too keen on providing static versions of libraries
    >> [whose] intent [is use in] embedded devices.

    Josip> I'm not too keen on providing static versions at all. I
    Josip> can't remember I last saw someone use a -dev package for
    Josip> that. People usually need a -dev package for the .so file
    Josip> and the .h files.

I don't see that optimizing for size of development packages is a big
concern.  If you don't want the static libraries at all, I can see
that point of view although I happen to disagree with it.

However disks are cheap enough that it seems reasonable to ask people
doing development to go buy a big disk.

Even developing for a Zaurus, I've found that other space concerns
dominate and the size of -dev packages just didn't bother me that
much.