Re: when can a package be made architecture-dependent?

Adam DiCarlo <aph@debian.org> writes:

> "Steven G. Johnson" <stevenj@ab-initio.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> 	2. Don't set architecture to a value other than ``all'' or ``any''
>> 	unless the upstream package is intrinsically unportable
>> 	(e.g. a program to disable a Pentium CPU ID).  If the package
>> 	is theoretically portable, even if it currently fails to build on
>> 	some architectures, it should be set to architecture any/all to
>> 	open a path for future porters.  Setting your architecture to
>> 	``i386'' is usually incorrect.

> But I do think this goes too far. There might be good reasons why the
> upstream maintainers or debian maintainers are unable to maintain a
> ported package --

	Well, I have been trying to think of some of these reasons.

> notably, if the upstream were not willing to take patches for
> building in other architectures.

	If upstream is unwilling to take patches to improve software,
 we do have the ability to maintain a set of diffs. Indeed, our
 social contract does seem to imply this.

> OTOH -- I do agree in principle.

	Cool.

	I suppose it comes down to what ones image of a Debian
 developer is.

	Is a developer merely a glorified packager, who mechanically
 packages software, and shuffles off problems with the package
 blindly upstream? I hope not, and I have long rejected this narrow
 view of what a developer is.

	I see a developer as an active participant in the improvement
 of the software they maintain (we are maintainers, after all, not
 packagers); who actively ensure the package integrates into the
 Debian system. In the early days of the FSSTND,there was a lot of
 work done to modify packages to fit the file system, and in several
 cases far in advance of the upstreams willinglness to accept the
 changes (I struggled with LaTeX2HTML for years).

	A maintainer has always made changes, accepted by upstream or
 not, to integrate the software into the set of Debian standards.

	As a project, we seem to have committed to supporting
 multiple architectures.  As maintainers, this means that we be
 willing to accept modifications from our fellow developers working
 on other arches (note I do not presuppose that all maintainers be
 able and willing to port things to all 11 arches single handedly).
 Indeed, I doubt if *ANY* upstream authors really have access to 11
 architectures, and test on them, with the exception of perhaps the
 Linux kernel; the fact that we have 11 supported arches is because
 the Debian project stood up to be counted.

	Agreeing in principle, though nice, is irrelevant unless the
 nitty gritty underpinning of that decision are also respected. And
 that includes giving all architectures a chance at running the
 software you maintain.

	manoj
--
DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD, UNTIE!