Re: docs, docs, and more docs(names of packages and location of files)

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 02:54, Adam Heath wrote:
> In doing this, I found several packages that had large quantities of
> documentation in a non-doc type package.  This meant that all installs of said
> package had that documentation around.

I think splitting out a -doc is always good if it's more than, say, 10%
of the pkgs installed size.

> Additionally, we are all aware(I hope) about the naming inconsistencies.

No opinion on this.

> Also, there is the problem that some docs depend on their foo.deb, others
> don't.

foo-doc should not depend on the foo, imnsho. For instance, I find
myself often working on a remote machine; having the doc locally is much
better for reference, but that doesn't mean that I want to have the pkg
installed.

Hmmm, let's see:
apache-doc suggests apache.
php3-doc doesn't even suggest php3
postgresql has Suggests: doc-linux-html,pgdocs

to name just 3. So, inconsistency is there. I didn't search, so I'll
believe you that some -doc depend on their foo.

cheers
-- vbi

--
get my gpg key here: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/92082481