Re: web browser url viewing proposal

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:38:22PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> This proposal grows out of dissatisfaction with the hard-coded browser
> lists provided by various programs like xchat and urlview to run a
> browser displaying an url. Also a desire to do right the BROWSER
> environment variable ESR proposed at
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/BROWSER/. Mostly because I never want to
> configure again in a program what web browser to use.

Seconded, with one proviso: can we standardize on the Compatible Secure
BROWSER Definition from
http://www.dwheeler.com/browse/secure_browser.html instead? This is what
man-db implements for the 'man -H' switch; ESR-style BROWSER variables
will still work as intended, but %c is added in order to permit a colon
in commands and it specifies what shell escaping is to be performed on
URLs to get rid of the hideous security flaws.