Re: web browser url viewing proposal

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> This proposal grows out of dissatisfaction with the hard-coded browser
> lists provided by various programs like xchat and urlview to run a
> browser displaying an url. Also a desire to do right the BROWSER
> environment variable ESR proposed at
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/BROWSER/. Mostly because I never want to
> configure again in a program what web browser to use.
>
> It's modelled on the EDITOR and /usr/bin/editor and
> /usr/bin/sensible-editor stuff already in policy, with some quirks
> because the BROWSER variable is more complicated, and to allow for X and
> non-X browsers.

[ ... ]

Fully seconded. (In the sense of implementing this mechanism, fixing
the affected packages and finally making it policy.) This is
especially helpful when packaging programs having an extensive manual
in HTML and some "Help" button in their menu. It hit me when I was
trying to package euler, which defaults to calling netscape. (Now
someone else packaged it before me and did not bother to look for a
sensible solution...)

Lukas

--
This is not a signature