Re: Debian LSB Status

On Aug 29, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 08:24:25AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Debian 3.0r0 (woody), is close, but not quite, in compliance with LSB 1.2.
> > The outstanding issues are:
> [snip]
>
> Thanks for this extremely informative report.  It had been my
> understanding that our init system and/or runlevels were an issue as
> well; is that a part of the spec we don't have to comply with for the
> specific certification we are seeking?  It certainly seemed the case at
> DebConf that most of us believed that our init system was a stumbling
> block to certification.

The main issue with init systems and runlevels was due to ambiguities
in the 1.0 and 1.1 specification documents; they were resolved in the
1.2 spec to clarify that the expected behavior of init scripts and
runlevels called for in the specification only applied to
LSB-conformant applications, and not to LSB-conformant implementations
(i.e. distributions).  So (for example), there is no need for
'/etc/init.d/xfs' status to work in Debian; you would, however, have
to implement it if distributing LSB packages of XFree86.

I'm not sure if there's an FAQ per se, but
/usr/share/doc/lsb/README.Debian should cover most of the relevant
issues if the package is installed.  (I will update it with info from
aj's very informative post.)

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@phy.olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Computer Systems Manager, Physics and Astronomy, Univ. of Mississippi
125B Lewis Hall - 662-915-5765