Re: build-deps non non-US does not implies archiving in non-US?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:20:29AM +0200, Robert Bihlmeyer wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > All packages have to be buildable with the current release. And this
> > does not include non-us if you happen to be in the us.
>
> Nope, you may freely download from non-us.debian.org, even if you're
> currently in the USofA.

I have heard rumors that some software in non-US/* would otherwise be in
main except for patents which would prohibit their use. I believe Matt
Kraai brought this up within m months (m<4). Anyway, this is irrelevant;
to solve this dilemma once and for all, we look at Policy 2.1.2:

     In addition, the packages in _main_
        * must not require a package outside of _main_ for compilation or
          execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
          "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-_main_
          package),
        * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
        * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

Note the first part.

--
Brian M. Carlson <karlsson@hal-pc.org> <http://decoy.wox.org/~bmc> 0x560553E7
Congratulations are in order for Tom Reid.

He says he just found out he is the winner of the 2021 Psychic of the
Year award.