Re: build-deps non non-US does not implies archiving in non-US?

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 04:08:17PM +0200, Francesco Paolo Lovergine wrote:

> As I can read from policy 2.1.5:
>
> "A package depends on another package which is distributed via the non-us
> server has to be stored on the non-us server as well."
>
> How this rule should be interpreted for Build-deps and Suggests?
> Can a non non-US pkg Build-dep on or Suggest a non-US pkg?
>
> My guess is that the non-US limitation refers to _distribution_ of
> binaries. So a GPL package which Build-deps on a non-US one, but which
> does not Depends on it, could anyway stay in main archive.
> The same if it Suggests only, not Depends on it.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> If not, maybe a clarification in Policy is a good thing.

I would say you are right on the suggest, but wrong on the build-deps.

All packages have to be buildable with the current release. And this
does not include non-us if you happen to be in the us.

BTW, something similar exist also with the testing script.

Does the testing script verify only the dependencies of a package for it
to enter testing, or also the build-deps ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther