Re: Reviewing policy bugs

On Sun, 08 Sep 2002 at 00:34:49 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Perusuant to my message earlier, there are the first set of
 > pending bug reports

 >     * #143941: define a usable character set for description/maintainer
 >    * name
 >      etc.
 >      Package: debian-policy; Reported by: Junichi Uekawa
 >      <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>; 139 days old.
 >
 >       Hmm. Seems like we want to support utf-8 for the future,
 > though perhaps that can wait until we get tool support for

then you probably should not have merged it with #99933.
#99933 is trying to solve a mess there is currently in
using different encoding for Packages and related files
(and also goes a bit forward)

 > that. dpkg-query should start supporting it soon. I guess we should

dpkg-query is going to start supporting _character conversion_,
which is a different issue. Otherwise, dpkg & family is completely
ignorant about character set used, only dselect has what I call
minor display glitches (please, no discussion about what is minor
and what not), and that is being addressed. (anyway, dselect
has also minor display glitches with current Packages with multiple
encodings as well, _especially_ on UTF-8 terminal)

 > shelve this until we have better support from the tool chain. (we do
 > not have consensus, in any case)

I thought we had for #99933. It would certainly make situation better
than today (one example for all: in german Packages file, translation
of package description which was in UTF-8 [1] was made,
and of course ISO-8859-1 charset was used for German.
So it ended up with package description partly in UTF-8 and
partly in ISO-8859-1. Yuck!)

[1] it was of course only a pure coincidence that it was my package :-)

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |