Re: RFD: Essential packages, /, and /usr

> I would also support the addition of UP since all the POSIX shells in
> Debian support it with the exception of ash which does not currently
> support history.  Since history support is unlikely to affect scripting,
> it would be acceptable for us to specify UP as well as XSI.

I'd be happy with SUSv3, UP relevant to non-interactive use, and the
appropriate subset of XSI.  Of course, you realize that this reverses
the 'echo -n' exception and that people will cry.

The other problem, then, is that we will have a situation wherein no shell
in Debian would be suitable as /bin/sh (unless I'm assuming incorrectly
about pdksh).