Re: command -v in postinsts violating policy

Bryan> Simple suggestion: all Debian install scripts require
Bryan> /bin/bash. They never refer to /bin/sh. Especially as in, "#!
Bryan> /bin/sh"

Bryan> Or if you don't like bash, ash. If not ash,
Bryan> csh. busybox. perl. Something. Just specify it and be done with
Bryan> it. And demand that shell be installed for the install scripts
Bryan> to run.

But that defeats the reason why people do change the link in the first
place : ash is faster than bash, someone might have something like
ash-686 which is even faster.  I am also biased:

kronstadt:~$ file /bin/sh
/bin/sh: symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/sh
kronstadt:~$ file /etc/alternatives/sh
/etc/alternatives/sh: symbolic link to /bin/ash
kronstadt:~$

(I installed my own local alternative for this).

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087