Re: Java Policy.

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:51:02PM -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Andrew> seems to forbid both code with native parts, and Java code
> Andrew> compiled to machine binaries with gcj.  It seems reasonable to
> Andrew> me to allow both of these.
>
> Does this really need to be part of the java policy?  I thought the
> Java policy was really aimed only at things that would install .class
> or .jar files.
>
> Naming it the "java" policy is perhaps a bit misleading since it might
> include, say, Ada programs compiled to target the JVM.  Perhaps
> calling it the "jvm policy" would be more accurate.

Well it is more than just the jvm that have to be a part of the policy.
The name is pretty accurate, I think.

> Anyway, I'd like to see Java libraries built with gcj and installed as
> .so files.  I think that would be useful.  It's also useful to have
> common Java programs precompiled.  For instance, with rhug I can build
> jasmin and treat it just like any compiled program; it is very
> convenient.
>
> So I think I'd like the Java policy to recommend that packagers also
> build a precompiled package for use with gcj.  However, such packages
> wouldn't have to fall under the Java policy but instead under whatever
> policies govern other .so files.

I can actually agree on this. It would be nice, but should be done
in a separate package (it is is not very small) to avoid too much bloat.

> One oddity here is that with gcj the "-dev" package would also want to
> include the .jar files somehow (i.e., depend on the ordinary "java"
> package).  And, perhaps, CNI headers generated with gcjh.

Well it should depend on the -java package. Generated c headers should be
placed in a -dev package.

Suggestions to the policy is welcome, preferrably as a wishlist to
java-common. Best of course is as a patch.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |