Re: Java Policy.

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 09:40:05PM +0200, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> I disagree on that class files should be placed in a -dev package for the
> same reason as I want every jar file to be placed in /usr/share/java
> (maybe with an exception for jvm:s). You should always be allowed
> to use the classes for some other purpose than just for some
> executable to run.

Ok, then it is just a question of naming.  Say my foo library can be
compiled to .class files and GCJ .so files.  One option is to
package both in libfoo-java, which would be architecture specific.
But if you want to split them into an architecture-specific and an
architecture-independent package, what do you call them? libfoo-java
and libfoo-gcj-java?

What if bar is a program that can be compiled both ways, and the
packager thinks that "normal users" should get the gcj compiled
binary.  Then the bar package contains the gcj binary.  Where do the
.class files go?  If you want a separate package, what would you
call it?  bar-bytecode?  (Or, maybe you should have packages bar-gcj
and bar-bytecode, and bar depends on whichever is preferred.)

Maybe the simplest thing would be just to put everything in a single
architecture-specific package.  Or maybe we should just wait until
it actually comes up....

Andrew