Re: Working on debian developer's reference and "best packaging practices"

>>"Julian" == Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmul.ac.uk> writes:

 Julian> People *used* to make that complaint.  And if we now move to having a
 Julian> lean policy standards document and a developers reference and a best
 Julian> programming advice document and a dpkg documentation document, we'll
 Julian> have even more complaints in that direction.

	I beg to differ. The reason people used to complain was there
 was no single place one could go to to get a definitive reference for
 all the things a package maintainer _must_ do in order to achieve
 interoperability and prevent bug reports.

	In the new scheme of things, the policy manual would be the
 place to look at. For further assistance, one could look at the
 developers reference (HOWTO), the dpkg docs (manual pages for the
 tools, references), or the style guide (for tips and solutions). There
 is a well defined destination, depending on what one is looking for.

	This is a far cry from the old muddle and multiple locations
 for must do things we had in the past.

	manoj
--
 Everything might be different in the present if only one thing had
 been different in the past.