Re: The Serious severity

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 09:33:51AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Trust you guys to have a discussion on serious severities
>   after I went to bed.  I note in scrollback that the very existence
>   was of the severity was called into question, and no one seemed to
>   remember the rationale for it.

You appear to have overlooked the fact that neither aj nor I felt that
the serious severity should be removed, therefore most of your complains
are off the mark, IMO.

Since you want to drag this out in the public forum of debian-policy,
I'll post some relevant hunks of IRC log.

02:53AM|<Overfiend> I still do not see what harm would be done by shifting
the first half of the "serious" severity definition to a tag

02:53AM|<Overfiend> certainly no automated tools would be adversely
affected, aside from having to account for the change.

02:53AM|<bdale> Overfiend: so, propose doing so after woody releases

02:53AM|<Overfiend> bdale: where did I propose doing so before it
releases?

02:53AM|<nwp_> IMHO the bugscan overrides are logically equivalent to
such a tag, but less transparent.

02:54AM|<bdale> Overfiend: rephrase.  so, shut up about it until woody
releases.

02:54AM|<Overfiend> nwp: ooh, transparency, once of my hobby-horses,
as iwj would put it

02:54AM|<aj> Overfiend: what harm would come of you calling yourself
"Dubblebub" from now on? Not really any, it'd just be a nusiance while
people got used to the new description. That isn't really the question,
the real question is what's the benefit.

02:54AM|<Overfiend> bdale: if people keep dialoguing with me about it,
I'll keep answering them.

02:55AM|<bdale> Overfiend: yes, I'm painfully aware of that.

02:55AM|<bdale> oh well, I still get more spam emails per day than OF
emails, so it's not really a problem.  :-)

02:56AM|<aj> Overfiend: it would've been much better to have done the
[IGNORE] stuff from a month or two ago, it would probably have been good
to have [IGNORE] put in the BTS rather than in ~wakkerma/bugscan/comments
on master, but those aren't going to be fixed for woody (because no one
but me is going to do anything about them; and i don't have the time to
do them)

02:56AM|<Overfiend> aj: the benefit is that 1) package maintainers get
to preserve the pre-serious utility of their bug list as a triage tool;
2) the release manager gets to discern violation of musts/requireds in
policy 3) perhaps, the policy team has an easier time of discerning
compliance with certain policies, though this could only really be
realized with increased adoption of the "Justification:" header

02:56AM|<aj>
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2000/debian-devel-announce-200008/msg00006.html

02:57AM|<aj> is the list of bugs that were known about, considered
"release-critical" and yet ignored anyway for potato

02:57AM|<jab> Why not just do what I did with FHS bug 143972 - mark it
"normal" instead of "serious" ?

02:57AM|<Overfiend> jab: I tried that, aj and Manoj came down on me
pretty hard

02:57AM|<Overfiend> oh shit, now YOU'RE going to be in the doghouse,
too :)

02:57AM|<jab> Overfiend: So what? You're the maintainer?

02:58AM|* Overfiend laughs at jab's naïveté

02:58AM|* nwp_ gets the impression jab hasn't been following this one ;)

02:58AM|<aj> 143972 is a lot less blatantly wrong than the xutils bug

02:58AM|<Overfiend> jab: please read the bug logs of 97671

02:59AM|<Overfiend> aj: uh, the definition of "serious" says nothing
about "blatantly wrong" versus regular "wrong", and I don't think the
FHS makes such a distinction either

02:59AM|<Overfiend> I thought we wanted objectivity?!?

02:59AM|<bdale> aj: someday, you're going to have to let me in on the
secret of how you manage to so quickly and effectively find and emit
url's for ancient email messages of interest...

03:00AM|<jab> nwp_: Wow, some people really enjoy arguing. ;)

03:00AM|<aj> bdale: the release critical bug list is posted every few
days to -devel-announce, in potato's time i was maintaining [IGNORE]
info well, that message is at around the same time potato was released
so should be the most canonical

03:30AM|<Overfiend> aj: okay, I gotta hit the sack soon.  Acknowledging
that this is all post-woody stuff, what have we reached consensus on?
We should mail the TC and let them know so they don't fight the wrong
battles for us.

03:32AM|<aj> Overfiend: we've reached a tentative consensus on declaring
"serious" nothing more or less than the RM's prerogative, that it might
be worth making it be a tag...

03:32AM|<aj> hrm

03:32AM|<aj> surely the release manager tagging something "unreleasable"
then saying "oh, but it'll release anyway" would be even more annoying?

03:32AM|<Overfiend> Manoj will be unhappy, but he'll be especially
unhappy if we leave no role for policy violations.

03:32AM|<Overfiend> or are you willing to deal with him on that front?

03:33AM|* nwp_ is disappointed to have missed the once-in-a-lifetime
opportunity to see OF & aj reaching consensus while his network connection
was down ;)

03:33AM|<Overfiend> there are a couple of ways we could go

03:33AM|<Overfiend> I would like to have serious-policy-violations
represented by a tag, because of criterion 3)

03:33AM|<aj> policy violations can have a tag if he insists, but i've been
planning on ripping the serious <-> must thing out for ages anyway. i
have to repeat the "no, it's not like the RFC's" argument waaaaaay to
often. you saw iwj come up with it again just recently, right?

03:34AM|<Overfiend> aj: yes

03:34AM|<Overfiend> 03:32AM|<aj> surely the release manager tagging
something "unreleasable" then saying "oh, but it'll release anyway"
would be even more annoying?

03:34AM|<Overfiend> Re: that, I don't think so

03:34AM|<aj> nwp_: it happens ocassionally. what'll be truly remarkable
if we start out disagreeing and move to agreement *without* the horrific
flamewar in between

03:34AM|<Overfiend> if "unreleasable" is the RM's pissing ground, then
people can be expected to guess what it means if the package releases
anyway

03:34AM|<Overfiend> ideally we'd have a gizmo that auto-retagged them,
but that's cosmetic

03:35AM|<Overfiend> and ideally it would hook into bugscan, etc.

03:35AM|<aj> hrm

03:35AM|<nwp_> heh... well, good to see anyway. It's *so* fucking
frustrating watching you guys violently agree with each other when you
both want the same thing really ;)

03:35AM|<Overfiend> in my conception, I as maintainer could tag a bug
as unreleasable if I felt it needed the RM's attention

03:36AM|<Overfiend> i.e., "Gosh, this bug is pretty sucky, what do
you think/"

03:36AM|<aj> that's the problem with tags, they'll probably tend
to have to be added after the fact, which is much harder to do than
removing/downgrading after the fact

03:36AM|<Overfiend> but the RM's decision is final if he removed the tag,
barring further information

03:36AM|<aj> Overfiend: as a maintainer you get to declare your packages
unreleasable for whatever reason you choose

03:36AM|<Overfiend> oh, really?

03:36AM|<Overfiend> okay, that leaves a role for "serious", then

03:36AM|<aj> Overfiend: check the second half of the "serious" def'n

03:36AM|<Overfiend> as a severity

03:36AM|<Overfiend> yes

03:36AM|<Overfiend> I wasn't sure you wanted to try eliminating serious
or not

03:37AM|<ilm> would /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/java2latex/ be a good
place? the package uses /usr/TeX/inputs/

03:37AM|<aj> (i made up "serious", all the stuff it covers is meant to
be that way and works fairly well to a first approximation)

03:38AM|<Overfiend> aj: I'd like to avoid a retread of the current
flamewar by defining domains of authority.  the "serious" severity is
for the maintainer, the "unreleasable" tag would be for the RM, and
"serious-policy-violation" or whatever would be for the Policy czars

03:39AM|<Overfiend> that way, whether the RM chooses to respect a given
critical/grave/serious bug as truly RC would be up to him

03:39AM|<Overfiend> IOW I could say "oh my God, it would humiliate
me if XFree86 shipped this way, severity 12345 serious . tag 12345
unreleaseable", but the release manager can remove that tag and say
"tough, it's shipping"

03:40AM|<Overfiend> aj: is this consistent with what you understood our
consensus to be?

03:40AM|<Overfiend> and whatever the policy manual says is actually
decoupled from BOTH of these concerns

03:42AM|<Overfiend> oh darn, did I lose him?

03:44AM|*W* aj is aj@azure.humbug.org.au (Anthony Towns)

03:44AM|*W* On channel #debian-devel

03:44AM|*W* On IRC via server irc.openprojects.net
(http://www.openprojects.net/)

03:44AM|*W* aj has been idle for 6:42; on since Wed Apr 24 00:43:12 2002.

03:44AM|<Overfiend> 03:44AM|*W* aj has been idle for 6:42; on since Wed
Apr 24 00:43:12 2002.

03:44AM|<Overfiend> yup, I think I lost him :)

03:44AM|<Overfiend> oh well

03:44AM|* Overfiend archives this so he doesn't forget it

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Convictions are more dangerous
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       enemies of truth than lies.