Re: Debian- vs other Menus (was:general: Sections are not finely grained)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 09:18:44PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> The same with me. I haven't yet explored woody much, as I personally
> don't use such things, but with the potato boxes I care for, one of
> the ugliest things is the need to remove the non-Debian menus. These
> Gnome or KDE menus are for my users only origin of confusion. Anything
> needed is in the Debian-Menu and the other menus hide this and thus
> making very simple users mad or crying.

Woody doesn't hide the Debian entries, but the solution is very ugly (at
least for KDE).  KDE/Debian menus add another level of submenu for Debian
stuff under each KDE submenu.

Debian Jr. has a nice core that is independent of GNOME/KDE, and post-woody
plan on expanding to have "Debian Jr./GNOME" and "Debian Jr./KDE" variants.
By the time the release following woody is out, I'd really like to see a
single solution implemented across Debian, which probably means scrapping
the GNOME/KDE menu structure altogether, and replacing it with a Debian menu
structure.  Alternatively, if the whole world adopts a "grand unified
desktop menu standard" that Debian is happy with, we could go with that.
And there was such an effort started, I think, with both KDE and GNOME
interested, but I don't think anything has come of it yet.

Ben