Re: Policy for init.d scripts is not LSB compilant

[Resent because I forgot to send to list]
On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 05:16, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"David" == David Pashley <debian-policy@davidpashley.com> writes:
>
>  David> [Checked against Policy version 3.5.6.0, 2001-07-24]
>  David> I would like to suggest the following changes to Policy to make it more
>  David> in line with LSB 1.1. Most text is taken from:
>  David> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.1.0/gLSB/iniscrptact.html
>  David> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.1.0/gLSB/iniscrptfunc.html
>
> 	What exactly does thi have to do with Debian packages? I see
>  nothing in LSB that says that local vendor native packages have to
>  change to confirm to the LSB,
>
> 	manoj

We need to implement the init.d functons for LSB compliance. As I've
pointed out elsewhere, we don't need to use them.

As for adding status to existing init.d scripts, we don't need to add
them, but we will break any program that expects LSB compliant init.d
scripts and uses status. As this is the whole point of LSB, I think it
is needed. This would be very easy to add to start-stop-daemon and then
a 3 line addition to most init.d script.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com