Re: Adding debian/rules unpack as a required operation

 Branden> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 04:03:32PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 David> A suggestion for policy:
 David> If a package source does not come fully unpacked - i.e. it uses a
 David> DBS-like system - debian/rules must include an unpack target, that
 David> unpacks the source code and applies all patches to it.

 >> Umm. I suggest you talk to the people who are using DBS (and
 >> perhaps also talk to Adam Heath, the author, to include suggestions
 >> in the DBS docs) to implement such a target.
 >>
 >> Policy is not a stick to beat people on the head with.

 Branden> While I agree with you vis a vis Policy, I have no objection
 Branden> to such a thing, speaking as the maintainer of a very large,
 Branden> DBS-using package.

	And I would say the proposers would be enchanted by your
 stance. Now, if we could only prevail upon the dbs author to include
 a note exhorting the inclusion of such a target in the rules file,
 and perhaps insert such a codicil in the developers reference, yet
 another good-practice-but-not-good-policy gem would have been
 recorded in the appropriate place and all shall be well in the
 world.

	manoj
--
 To lose weight, eat less; to gain weight, eat more; if you merely
 wish to maintain, do whatever you were doing. The Bronx diet is a