Adding debian/rules unpack as a required operation

A suggestion for policy:

If a package source does not come fully unpacked - i.e. it uses a
DBS-like system - debian/rules must include an unpack target, that
unpacks the source code and applies all patches to it.

The motivation is, that I'm tired of wanting to look at the source code
to a program, and discovering it's in some DBS-like system, and I don't
have the foggest how to unpack it, short of running a build and killing
the build, or manually (wherein it can be hard to tell what patches are
applied in what order.) debian/rules unpack exists in some DBS-like
packages, and is the simpliest solution, IMO. Comments?

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu, dvdeug/jabber.com (Jabber)
When the aliens come, when the deathrays hum, when the bombers bomb,