Re: Summary of KDE filesystem discussion

Previously Jarno Elonen wrote:
>  * Many people feel that KDE (and Gnome) is too large
>    a whole to be stuffed in /usr/bin, /usr/share etc
>    and would deserve a separate directory like X

Define many. I also don't see what the advantage would be of moving
it to a seperate directory. Without knowing what the actual problem
is I don't see a reason for making any changes.

>  * Some proposed using /opt/kde3. Arguments:
>
>    + Other distributions work like this, and better
>      compatibility with them could be beneficial

Incorrect, other distributions do not work like this.

>    + FSH seems to permit this (possible
>      misunderstandings about phrase 'add-on package'
>      in it)...

FHS does not allow it, /opt is for third party software which KDE and
GNOME are not if the distribution contains them.

Wichert.

 /wichert@wiggy.net         This space intentionally left occupied \
| wichert@deephackmode.org            http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |