Re: Adding debian/rules unpack as a required operation

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 02:25:36PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> If a package source does not come fully unpacked - i.e. it uses a
> DBS-like system - debian/rules must include an unpack target, that
> unpacks the source code and applies all patches to it.

Make it another optional target listed in section 5.2 (slightly
different from what you said), with a description along the lines of
"Unpacks, patches, or otherwise generates all source files which are
invariant across all builds" (this needs to be reworded). This is more
generic, but excludes operations like "./configure" - ie, an
'unpack'ed source tree could be freely copied or shared between hosts
without having to unpack it again.

> The motivation is, that I'm tired of wanting to look at the source code
> to a program, and discovering it's in some DBS-like system, and I don't
> have the foggest how to unpack it, short of running a build and killing
> the build, or manually (wherein it can be hard to tell what patches are
> applied in what order.) debian/rules unpack exists in some DBS-like
> packages, and is the simpliest solution, IMO. Comments?

Seems at least as valuable as the "get-orig-source" optional target,
probably more so.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK