Re: LSB Status

According to Sean 'Shaleh' Perry:
> > If I'm not mistaken that is not nessecary unless we plan to move
> > all .deb archives over to .lsb too, which is not going to happen.
> > Debian will stay Debian we just need to make it possible to install
> >  .lsb files *as well*
>
> we can support the installation of lsb binaries HOWEVER the lsb spec adds a
> 'status' option to init scripts which lsb packages may expect to exist.  So at
> the bare minimum we need to support that.

Well no, packages in .lsb that have an /etc/init.d/initscript must
support the 'status' option but Debian packages don't have to do
that as they are Debian packages and not .LSB packages.

> If we actually want to call Debian an LSB system that involves the work I
> mentioned above.

There's probably lots to do for LSB compliance but adding a status
option to every /etc/init.d/* script is probably not part of it.

Disclaimer:
If I'm wrong then the LSB spec is even more stupid than I thought...

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.