Re: compressed binaries in packages, for or against?

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:47:08PM -0400, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 13:36:36 -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> wrote:
> > I was recently mailed about lintian failing on UPX compressed binaries in
> > packages.
>
> How does it fail?  (In what way do the compressed binaries not conform
> to policy?)

when I call objdump on the item it fails.

$ file upx-ucl
upx-ucl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (Linux), statically linked, stripped
$ objdump -x upx-ucl
objdump: upx-ucl: File format not recognized

As you see, the object hides as an ELF, yet objdump is confused by it.  objdump
is used by lintian for various pieces of info.

Lintian is two things currently -- policy checker and packaging sanity checker.
There is no policy against calling dh_testversion, but I do have a lintian
check for it since it is a deprecated function.  Same for debconf checks and
several other things.  You are correct when what I presume you are suggesting
 -- this is not directly against policy.  However, it probably should be
decided whether we want it to be allowed or not.