Re: Must and should: new proposal (was: Re: Must and should again)

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 06:03:49PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Julian" == Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:
>  Julian> - there's no longer a suggestion of using policy as anything other
>  Julian>   than a set of guidelines
> 	Is that really the case? I certainly do not find that I treat
>  Policy as a guideline, to be followed or violated at my whimsy; I do
>  think of it as a set of rules, and as all rules, there may be
>  exceptions.

I've been using the word "guideline" to mean this. It seems a better
match to me. If you break rules, you get punished, if you don't follow
guidelines, you just have to give a valid justification. Guidelines are
still there for a reason, though.

Cheers,
aj