Re: Definition of alphanumeric?

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:43:21AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 03:50:39PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > policy uses alphanumeric to define version numbers. Is this only a-zA-Z0-9,
> > or does this include the "_"? As the "_" is used as a seperator in Debian
> > package file names, this would be perverse, but I would like to stay on the
> > safe side.
>
> No, only a-zA-Z0-9 should be allowed.  I have no idea whether this is
> enforced anywhere, but this should probably be spelled out in policy.

As well as [.-+], which are all allowed in version and package name.

IMO, Marcus, you should stick with ',' as your ":" replacement
character. Unless you feel like filing bugs on packages that fail with
":", which should be ok, since it wouldn't be too outlandish to expect
packages to build in an evironment with sane path names (e.g. if I build
all of my packages in /usr/src/debian:pkgs/).

Ben