Re: what are shared libs and what are not ...

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 10:55:11AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 07-Mar-2001 Ben Collins wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:14:08PM +0100, Othmar Pasteka wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> while packaging modlogan i have to use overrides because modlogan
> >> uses shared objects for its plugin system which are not shared
> >> libs. but since there has to be a shlibs file for shared objects
> >> under /usr/lib i get lots of lintian errors, i.e. policy
> >> violations.
> >
> > Plugins should not go in /usr/lib/., but should go in a subdirectory of
> > /usr/lib.
> >
> > For example, PAM uses /lib/security/ and apache uses /usr/lib/apache/
> >
> > Do that, and lintian shouldn't complain. The problem here is that you
> > are leaving these modules/plugins out at the will of the dynamic linker.
> > Leaving them in /usr/lib/ makes ldconfig parse them, fills the
> > ld.so.cache with useless libs, and thus adds overhead to the system's
> > dynamic loader.
> >

> lintian WILL complains about any lib it finds, period.  No has codified policy
> to make lintian behave differently.  I have asked on several occasions for
> someone to put in writing what you say above and to no avail.

IMO, lintian should take this in two steps. One, anything not in /lib or
/usr/lib, that is a DSO, better be a module or plugin. The check for
this is something that adds the file to /etc/ld.so.conf, in which case
(and this may be hard to check as-is), the package is setting up a
subdir (a la /usr/i486-linux/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib) where DSO's will
live, and will be recognized by ldconfig/ld.so.

You're right, this needs to be in policy, and a decent interface for
making changes to ld.so.conf needs to be added (maybe I can do that in
libc6) so that packages can call that script, and lintian can check for
it.