Re: Question about build dependencies.

In Mon, 17 Dec 2001 22:43:31 +0100 Ola cum veritate scripsit :

> I think the policy have to be clearified on this matter. Maybe add a new
> paragraph that says something like (at the bottom of chapter 2.4.2.
>
> "Dependencies other than binary packages can not be assumed, including
> network connection and other external hardware."

Hm...

How about "package in main must be buildable within main" which
the policy seems to already say.

This logic has a flaw, as this does not forbid
doing "apt-get source" to obtain other packages' source,
which many people seem to dislike.

2.1.2. The main section
-----------------------

     Every package in _main_ and _non-US/main_ must comply with the DFSG
     (Debian Free Software Guidelines).

     In addition, the packages in _main_
        * must not require a package outside of _main_ for compilation or
          execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
          "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-_main_
          package),
        * must not be so buggy that we refuse to support them, and
        * must meet all policy requirements presented in this manual.

--
dancer@debian.org : Junichi Uekawa   http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer
GPG Fingerprint : 17D6 120E 4455 1832 9423  7447 3059 BF92 CD37 56F4