Re: Question about build dependencies.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 01:27:04PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > Other checks can be build-dependencies of lynx, omt, ftp and other similar
> > packages. Build dependencies of cvs is maybe a good check too. I've seen
> > it before with other packages.
> >

> lync could theoretically be used to dump an html file as plain text during the
> build.  Silly, but possible.

Forgot to answer on this in the other mail (from Marcus).

Yes you are right. Maybe a warning on this matter. :)
Actually just warnings may be good anyway, for ... well ftp should
not be used at all. Not build-depended anyway. :)

It should be possible to check if theese tools are used in the
sections in the rules-file. Not a trivial check though.

Anyway I now fully agree with you about the need to not have
a dependency on network connection. The security part is the one
I found to be most critical. Autobuilders and other people are
a valid reason too. But I think the policy must be more clear at least
to have something to point at when people suggest it in bug-reports
(complaining on not too updated...) :)

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |