Re: Should debian policy require to use debconf for postinst scripts?

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:58:26PM +0100, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> > In my opinion now that we have debconf we should mandate its use by
> > policy.
>
> No. We. Should. Not.

"We will be guided by the needs of our users and the
free-software community. We will place their interests first in
our priorities. We will support the needs of our users for
operation in many different kinds of computing environment."

Nowhere in the Social Contract do I see the following caviat:

"But #4 is negotiable, because after all, we are volunteers."

If placing our users' interests first is one of the 5 commitments
we agree to when we become Debian Developers, then what excuse is
there for not mandating debconf?

-John Daily
john@geekhavoc.com