Re: Should debian policy require to use debconf for postinst scripts?

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 04:35:17PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > If debconf isn't good enough that everyone's not using it voluntarily
> > (lilo has been converted *from* debconf), then the obvious thing to do
> > is to improve debconf, not try to force everyone to make their packages
> > worse.
> Which of these cases is true?
> 1. debconf misses functionality needed
> 2. bugs in debconf

Consider, eg, #90676.

> It's some work for a maintainer to convert a package that simply uses
> things like "cat <<EOM" for interaction with the user to debconf - and if
> the maintainer is for any reason not willing to convert his package (he
> might even refuse a patch) the only way to force him to make this change
> is when policy says he has to do it.

That is *completely* the wrong attitude. We're all volunteers; we're not
here to be forced to do anything.

Cheers,
aj, wondering if he's going to have to do the "must" rant yet again

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt