Re: Should debian policy require to use debconf for postinst scripts?

Hrm, meant to send this to the lists. Oops.

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:28:36AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, VALETTE Eric wrote:
> > So far the following packages do not follow the rule :
> >          1) lilo,
> >          2) wu-ftpd,
> >          3) php4-* pacakges,
> >          4) bind
> 5) exim  (our default MTA)
> I will support a proposal that every interaction with the user a package
> makes with the user during installation must be done using debconf. But
> this is a post-woody thing.

If debconf isn't good enough that everyone's not using it voluntarily
(lilo has been converted *from* debconf), then the obvious thing to do
is to improve debconf, not try to force everyone to make their packages
worse.

Joey has yet more significant debconf changes waiting in the wings for
after woody's release iirc, too.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt