vhosts-base (was: apache2: clearing the air [please read])

J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk (Julian Gilbey)  wrote on 12.10.01 in <20011012141058.A2436@polya>:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 10:54:32PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > It would acutually:
> > >
> > > VHOSTROOT/      - root directory for all my virtual hosts
> > > +- <hostname>/  - root directory for a single virtual host
> > >   +- etc/       - configuration files (apache config, email alises,
> > >   etc.) |               for that vhost
> > >   +- cgi-bin/   - CGI scripts
> > >   +- http/      - publicly accessible stuff via http
> > >   +- mail/      - mail configuration
> > >   +- ftp/       - publicly accessible stuff via ftp
> > >   +- db/        - databases
> >
> > Sick. This is actually quite a good idea, but imho we should probably
> > define VHOSTROOT *shrug*
> > Just saves all the packages doing all this work to find it, but there
> > you go.
>
> Put it in /etc/vhost.conf as we do for things like mailname?

Let's make a list of what's needed. Then decide if that needs a new vhosts-
base package.

And this time, let's not forget to talk to debian-policy. I'll copy them.

Stuff I think we need:

- a path where vhosts are rooted

- possibly one or more skeleton directories for vhosts, to be used when
creating a new host (should be *completely* empty as delivered by Debian)

- scripts to create and deactivate (and possibly, delete) vhosts, these
should probably use run-parts so this thing can (1) be supported by any
package that wants to support vhosts, and (2) additionally use local
scripts set up by the admin.

Directory proposal:

/etc/vhosts/vhosts.conf
           /<package>/<package-specific>? Is there any use for this?
           /skel/default/htdocs
                        /cgi-bin
                /otherkind/htdocs
                          /cgi-bin