Re: The Debian FAQ

On Monday 02 July 2001 9:03 pm, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:14:47AM +1000, Edward C. Lang wrote:
> > So, this is my informal announcement that I may, time allowing,
> > start a rough FAQ that can either possibly deflect and derail
> > wanton behaviour on the lists, and also serve as pointer to other
> > interesting documentation about the Project.
> >
> > All suggestions, comments, critisicms, and volunteers are welcome.
>
> Suggestions (and a volunteer):
>
> - Divide up the work.  Debian is a large entity, and it would be
> easier to keep up if several people share the load. (yes, that is me
> volunteering)
>
> - Thoroughly investigate current and past efforts, especially the
> Debian Documentation Project.  There is, among many other fine
> things, an excellent FAQ in the doc-debian package.
>
> - Develop a system for filtering the information from the various
> mailing lists into the FAQ (in the Usenet tradition).  Kernel Cousin
> has some ideas in this area.  Make sure that, in addition to having
> general information, the FAQ really does answer frequently asked
> questions (user and developer).

An idea just randomly thrown out:

What would be really nice would be if we could come up with something
along the lines of the MS knowledgebase.  Something easily searchable
which contained everything anyonje would ever need to know about the
Debian system.

Yes, I *DO* have some idea of just how much work this would entail.  I
wouldn't mind volunteering to do some of it.  I can't really see just
one person being capable of manging something so big though.

I will stop having ideas which will never ever happen now :)

--
Stephen Stafford
GPG public key on request